Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Exhaustion Has Become a State of Being

*ducks barrage of bubble wrap and rusty spoons flying toward her head*

Okay. Yeah, I know. But you should be aware that I picked bubble wrap out of the myriad of possible weapons largely because of the high likelihood that I would not get around to posting on Monday.

And the most frustrating thing about it is that I'm not even really that busy. Certainly nothing like I've been in the past. I work five days a week, I get home at about 5 every day, I have a choir rehearsal one night a week, and I go to church on Sundays. I am honestly not that busy.

What I am is exhausted. This is such a high-stress job, and couple that with moving and the holiday and Maggie being sick, there's so much I haven't gotten done and so much I have to do as soon as break gets here.

So an update on Maggie for y'all. She's having surgery on Thursday to remove her gall bladder, and we're hoping that's the end of the saga, but her doctor is worried that there might be something else going on, so she's been having lots of tests lately and feeling pretty crappy and not allowed to eat really anything (she breaks that rule a lot, though). But from what I understand, it's not a very invasive surgery, and they won't even keep her overnight. But she's very anxious about the surgery, so drop her some good thoughts and encouragement, yeah?

Anyway, as far as my life goes (and yay, folding in previous topics!), I was able to return to BG for Thanksgiving to help with the candy making (254 lbs!), but because of the aforementioned candy making, I didn't get to see nearly as many people as I wanted. I did see Anne very briefly at church, but it was sadly more like a fly-by than anything else, since we sit on opposite sides of the choir.

The drive to and from sucked majorly, though. Weather and bad drivers and weather delayed us significantly on the way up, and we stopped in Cleveland at 1:30am when our initial arrival time in BG was supposed to be midnight. And we got a later start than we wanted coming home and it's just a long drive, guys. I think we got home at 12:30 that night? And I had to be up for work five hours later. But regardless of the drives, I am very glad I got to visit home, for however brief a time.

I feel like I'm rambling. Am I rambling? I don't have a through-line; I'm so disjointed these days . . . I saw a great post on Tumblr a few weeks ago, a webcomic that basically said "Tired is no longer a momentary descriptor of how I am; it has become an integral part of my being." I entirely relate.

Anyway, the reason why this wasn't up on Monday was because I had a bell rehearsal scheduled very suddenly for the evening, and then Chase asked me if I wanted to take a winter stroll through downtown and do some Christmas shopping before my rehearsal, and how's a girl to say no to that? Then we got home, and I had to put together my Secret Santa gift and then it was time for bed.

(Don't ask about yesterday. I have no excuses.)

And speaking of Secret Santas and Christmas, I want to reassure you all that you WILL be getting your Christmas presents, the candy and the other thing that has nothing at all to do with Harry Potter or Patronuses, but they will probably be more like New Years presents, for two reasons. One, because that's when they'll be finished (can I get a time machine to go back to the moment when PastCassie said "Sure, I can handmake nine Christmas gifts this year, no problem!" and smack her?), and two, because then I'll have a nice new paycheck in the bank and be able to afford all of the shipping I have to do. :/

Let's see, what else? Seriously, I have no through line, guys, I'm just typing.

I haven't seen Frozen or Catching Fire or Thor 2 because I am bad at movies, but I have seen Ender's Game, which was one of the best book to movie adaptations I've ever seen done, to say nothing of just brilliantly cast and performed, and I have also seen The Book Thief, which was a lot better than I had braced myself for. There were a lot of things I wish they had done differently and been able to incorporate, but that's a beautiful movie with absolutely perfect casting, and I sobbed like a child.

Um . . . pretty lowkey Christmas plans at the moment. I've got a bunch of church stuff coming up, as expected, but mainly my plans involve cleaning, unpacking, decorating, and then spending a quiet Christmas with Chase. We aren't coming up to Ohio because his job only gives him Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off, and I abandoned him at Thanksgiving, so I can't very well do the same on Christmas without feeling like a horrible person.

Well, I think I've rambled enough, and besides, I need to get back to my Christmas projects so that people have things to open eventually. Ready your bubble wrap, and I'll see you all next week, with any luck.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete