Monday, December 16, 2013

Woah!

Hellooooooo Dunbar Girls! It's been a while for me, and for that I apologize. You could say one or two things have been going on, but the truth of it is a busy schedule and a girl in need of brain organization surgery. Do they have that yet?

So I'm a waitress, exciting. God's been moving mountains: exciting-er.  

For Thanksgiving each of us on the team cooked or baked something different. Everything was delicious but I think the highlight of the meal was Amanda's sweet potato casserole. I'm convinced that's just human-kind trying to cheat and eat dessert first.  

We've decorated!

We can't travel on the program so we'll all be staying here for the holidays. It's been and will continue to be a lot of firsts for me, especially the holidays. Thanksgiving was my first away from family and Christmas will be as well. But my parents are coming to visit this weekend! I'm so excited, and only a little trepidacious.

One of the things you hear about this program from anyone who's ever been on it is how much you grow. You're bound to: thrown in a completely new environment with people you've only known for a few days and all of a sudden you have to rely on these girls like family. The only thing constant in your life is the Word of God that got you here. What happens when you throw the safe and familiar of family back into your life? Even if only for a few days?

So that's new. Our leadership is throwing a holiday party for us this Saturday, which means we have to get almost everything done this week in five days instead of six.  And that's the negative perspective so here's the positive: it's going to be so wonderful! Rev. Berryhill is this mustachioed southern man with a guitar, twinkly eyes, and perpetual smile. The team of all girls doesn't even phase him: he and his wife only have daughters!
You would all love his wife Jean.  She's got quick humor and a sharp wit. She knows exactly when to be Mom and when to be the woman that makes you get stuff done. 
The holiday party should be great, because its intention is to be an evening for us to be able to relax and be at ease. 

I wonder about the growth part and when I'll get to see it for myself. Our perspective is internal and we don't always see what others do. I wait for the point that I look at myself and recognize, "So that's who I've become."


No comments:

Post a Comment