Friday, May 16, 2014

My Octopus Brain

NEW JOB.  I want to blog about my new job first.  I was hired this past Monday as Chief Bailiff for one of the local Municipal Courts.  I can already tell that I'm getting used to my new place, and that I'm learning.  I was really worried when I accepted the job because my part-time Deputy Bailiffs are all at least 40 years older than me, retired cops, and they've worked at the courthouse as bailiffs for years.  I was worried because I was told that they're old-school, so they might not take kindly to having a twenty-something, five-foot-one female as their boss.  Thankfully, I can tell it's not going to  be an issue.  All of "my guys" are great, and they've been very helpful teaching me the ropes and helping me adjust to my new job.

Basically, my first and foremost concern is the judge's safety and happiness.  Whatever she needs, I am in charge of getting it or delegating someone else to get it.  I am required to be armed, so I'll be looking into CCW classes and purchasing a gun.  There have already been a couple of defendants who have made me nervous, and all I could think was, "If he charges the bench, there's nothing I can do."  I hate feeling so helpless, so getting that firearm cannot come soon enough.  Luckily, the judge has a ninety-one-pound German Shepherd that she takes into the courtroom with her because she's had some threats, and I love this dog.  Whenever someone gets too close to the bench or goes where they're not supposed to (with the exception of the bailiffs and court personnel), she goes ballistic and barks her pretty head off.  Good girl!

I already have some plans for how I'm going to run things, so we'll see how it goes.  Wish me luck!

SCHOOL.  My Paralegal Certificate is over, and although I haven't checked grades yet, I'm pretty sure I did well.  I'm glad it's over.  I am registered right now for a class in the fall, but I'm probably going to drop it.  I love to learn, but I'm a little sick of school right now.

MEDIA.  Just last night, a teaser trailer hit YouTube for a live-action version of Cinderella!  I hear Cate Blanchett is in it.  I am excited.

I have also gotten myself to be excited about Maleficent.  I really dislike Angelina Jolie, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to go and see it, but the more trailers I see, the more I like it.  It's dark, the special effects look killer, and Jolie sounds like she nails this role.

I would like to gab about Once Upon a Time and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I'm behind on both of those shows, so I can't say much =(

I'm sure there's more, but that's all that I can think about right now.  Everyone in the family is doing well.  My little sister is in the police academy, her boyfriend is a full-time cop for a busy jurisdiction, and all the pets are happy and healthy.  Mom and I are both working all day now, so we're trying to make that work.  It's harder to get things done now, since there isn't someone at the house all day anymore =P

Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment