Sunday, May 25, 2014

Summer Writing

I would love to get back into writing this summer.  I have a million ideas swarming through my head right now, and they're dying to get out.  Granted, a lot of those are just character designs, which means drawing them instead of writing them, but the story ideas are getting more and more elaborate.

For instance, that Wonderful Wizard of Oz retelling I've been talking about for years?  Yeah, it's expanded now to include not only Wonderland (which I think I've mentioned before), but also Neverland and the Darling children.  From the way things are going in my head right now, the Neverland story would not be modernized the way the Wonderland story would be.  Wendy and her brothers would go to Neverland back in whatever-time-period England, and their adventure would be a prelude to Dorothy's adventure in Oz and Alice's adventure in Wonderland.  How?  I have no idea, but my head is slowly working on that.

Then there's the story with characters designed loosely after all of us, with all those creatures and cryptids.  Random characters keep getting added on.  A boyfriend here, a crush there, another random-but-helpful mysterious person...Basically, there are so many that the story itself has been mentally shelved (or, at least, I've attempted to mentally shelve it) until I can make more sense of it.  I've also been entertaining the idea of setting the story in a time period similar to King Arthur's, with pretty dresses, knights, and ancient weapons.  One of the characters would be a homeless beggar making change by entertaining the public with their gift, while another is a duke or duchess who fears using their power at the risk of being dethroned.  There is an inherent flaw in this plan, however, since most of the creatures I've researched are modern myths, so I don't really know where to go from there.

So yes, lots of ideas, but nowhere for them to go right now.  My new job is pretty damn cool, though it is extremely hectic at times and makes me want to pull my hair out.  As all of you know, I live by a routine and a schedule, and when something interrupts that routine or schedule, I get stressed out.  This job, however, is nothing but interruptions.  Things change from one minute to the next, and I have to adjust accordingly.  It's stressful right now, but I think in the long run, it'll help me with my life outside of work.  I like it a lot, but I'm happy for weekends as well because I get a chance to rest.  I'm also looking forward to the judge coming back from her vacation on Wednesday.  I've missed her and her guard dog, and it's been strange trying to adjust not only to a new job, but to accommodate the visiting judges as well.

I love you guys!  I hope everyone is doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment