Monday, August 12, 2013

The Watchword is Cautious Optimism

So, I've got a list of things I'm waiting for, and most of them I'm pretty excited about.

The first thing . . . doesn't technically count, but I'm including it. I WANT BROADCHURCH. Lemme explain you a thing.

Broadchurch is a British series with David Tennant, Arthur Darvill, and Olivia Colman, and Chase has nicknamed it CSI: Scotland. David Tennant plays a grumpy Detective Inspector who has to solve the murder of an young boy in a small town. The entire eight episodes of the first season focus on this murder, and I WANT IT. Technically, it doesn't count because the whole thing was shown in England earlier this year, and it's currently running on BBC America, but I don't have cable, so I have no way of watching it. But goodness gracious do I want to.

Speaking of British TV, I am also looking forward to the 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who (though I have to finish the most recent season first), as well as the third season of Sherlock (give it to me nooooooooow!).

House of Hades, the fourth book in Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series, is due out in October, and after Riordan's literal cliffhanger (yes, there were characters literally hanging off a cliff), I would like some resolution.

Then we have the movies that I am waiting for with Cautious Optimism. There are two. These are movies that I really want, don't get me wrong, but I'm also a little terrified that they'll just be awful.

The first is the Into the Woods movie. I've been following the casting announcements closely, and I'm excited about a lot of their choices -- Chris Pine as Cinderella's Prince,  James Cordon as the Baker, Tracy Ullman as Jack's Mother? Yes, please -- and waiting to see on several others. I think this movie could be magnificent, but I love the musical, and I just . . . I'm nervous. But cautiously optimistic.

And then there's The Book Thief. You all know, most likely, that this is my favorite book ever of all time ever, right? I adore this novel, and while I'm so excited that it's being made into a movie for release this November (!!!), I'm also terrified. Because so much of what I love about this novel is the way that it is told, the way the words are used and put down on the page, and while I think you can absolutely translate that to the screen, I am terrified that the movie is going to go the safe route, and just be a movie about a girl in Nazi Germany who is hiding a Jew in the basement.

Because while that story is wonderful, that's not The Book Thief. What makes the novel stand out is that Death narrates, and that he interjects his thoughts and experiences into the story, and that the story is told out of order, and that you know the heartbreaking end right from the start, but you have to hear the story anyway because it's more than just the story of a girl in Nazi Germany who is hiding a Jew in the basement. It's a story about you, and it's a story about me, and it's a story about Hitler and a Jew named Max and a nine year old girl named Liesel who steals books and how all of us are connected.

Sorry. Started gushing.

Anyway, I'm optimistic, because Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson are in it, and the stills recently released look exactly right, and I know they're casting Death. On top of that, the director has done a lot of BBC miniseries, so he knows how to go about this sort of story. Also John Williams is doing the score, so there's that.

Anyway, I'm also looking forward to seeing Chase at the end of the month for the first time since April, and in seeing what the rest of you are looking forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment