Monday, March 10, 2014

Books, Books, and More Books

Whoo books! I think we're all fans, yes? Here are my answers to a handful of these questions.

Day 2: A book or series you wish more people were reading and talking about

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood. I love these books. They're like, Lemony Snicket meets Jane Eyre (I came up with that comparison all on my own, too. The fact that some book critic said the same thing on a dust jacket just shows how accurate a description that is), and yes, it works. The series is currently four books long; it will eventually be six books long, and more people need to discover it.

Day 3: The best book you've read in the last 12 months

Was this whole topic contrived so that I had an excuse to talk to you all about Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell? . . . Maybe. But guys. Let me talk to you about this book.

I finished this book last week, and not only is it amazing, it is about us. Figuratively speaking, of course. Whenever any novel tries to cover people in a "fandom," we usually end up getting portrayed as weird social outcasts/deviants instead of real people with a passion. But Fangirl nails what it is like to be a person in love with and caught up in the fervor of a Harry Potter-like obsession. Fandom and fanfiction writers specifically aren't shown as deviant, plagarizing, slightly crazy stalkers in this book, but as real people who love writing and love getting the chance to explore and expand a world they identify so strongly with.

The non-fandom aspects of the book are brilliant, as well, and you should all go read it.

Day 25: Any five books from your "to be read" stack

The Unseen Guest and The Interrupted Tale by Maryrose Wood; A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan; Jane by April Lindner; and Underdogs by Markus Zusak

Day 31: What books do you have on request at the library? How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time? How often have you returned books to the library unread? What do you currently have checked out at the library?


On Request: Cress by Marissa Meyer; Longbourn by Jo Baker; The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson


How many checked out at any given time: Waaaaaay too many. I might have a bit of a problem. And I'm actually getting a lot better about returning books unread. It takes me a while and several renews to get through them, but I usually read the books I check out.


Currently checked out: All the books listed under Day 25, and also Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson, and a collection of Emily Dickinson's poems.


That's all I'll force you to read for now! :) Looking forward to hearing some of your responses!

No comments:

Post a Comment