Sunday, March 16, 2014

Oops!

Hey Katie, at least you weren't the LAST to post on this topic! In my defense (and it's a pretty poor one) I was suffering from severe spring-break-itis on Thursday and could barely bring myself to do anything that WASN'T getting ready to get out of dodge. BUT, now that I have had a whole day off to myself and am sitting down to start on all the millions of school-related things that must get done over spring break (what do you mean, spring break isn't called "catch-up week"?) I'm realizing I didn't post on one of the posts that should be the easiest to write. Oops. In penance (and procrastination) I will answer extra questions from the list.

Day 03 - The best book you've read in the last 12 months
Adult: Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.
YA/MG: Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver

Day 04 - Your favourite book or series ever
I figure Harry Potter is a given, so I'm going to go in a different direction. I have read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern four times since I first discovered it approximately two years ago (twice by audiobook, which Jim Dale reads absolutely beautifully). You must all read it. Then, once you have, you are all invited to a midnight dinner at my place, because I SO want to have a Night Circus themed party someday. Or perhaps this could be the theme of our "Meet in the Middle" project?

Day 15 - Your "comfort" book
The Neverending Story, hands down.

Day 25 - Any five books from your "to be read" stack
This is probably NOT the best one to pick, because my "to-read" shelf on GoodReads is over 700 books long. In order to narrow it down, I've picked five sequels that I really need to get to, like, yesterday.
The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson
Dark Triumph by Robin LeFevers
Cress by Marissa Meyer
Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
[The sad part is I either own or have checked out of the library all but one of these books since last August. Some of them I have checked out more than once. *facepalm*]

Day 39 - Favourite place to read? Can you read on a bus/car/train?
I can read anywhere. I'd prefer to read in a small space with a blanket, warmth, and very few people, because I get easily distracted by people walking by - in the car while someone else is driving is perfect! I hate to seem anti-social (I have enough trouble making friends as it is) so I tend to look up any time anyone goes past, unless I'm absolutely certain I'm somewhere where I won't run into anyone I know. That makes it hard to make any progress on reading, and gets too frustrating for me to really get into the story and enjoy it.

Day 49 - If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
This is a hard one. I can, and do on occasion, read in French, just because I think French is beautiful. However, I would prefer to read a novel in its original language if I could, so since many of my favorites were originally written in German, I would love to learn that (and I'm working on it as my second language for my degree, woohoo!). Also, someday I think it would be fun to learn Japanese so I could read manga in its original form. (And since I love languages, why don't we throw in Gaelic and Italian too - no, I'm not an overachiever, why do you ask?)

Day 55 - Favourite film adaptation of a novel? Most disappointing film adaptation?
As a kid, I loved the film The Secret Garden (Dickon was CUTE, y'all!). Recently I liked Stardust because even though it didn't stick to the letter of the original, it kept to the spirit of it. Also, the most recent one I saw was Austenland and it was adorabibble and terrible at the same time and I loved it. Most disappointing? I dunno, I have a pretty easy time of separating books from movies so I never feel like a movie completely failed. I had a few complaints about some of the Harry Potter adaptations I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment